19 September 2008

naming valleys

every two weeks or so i drive down to rochester for work to meet with clients. at first this was not my favorite thing to do and my body language told it all. i would rent a car, leave late, stop for coffee, ice cream, bathroom, anything to break up the two-hour drive and maybe if i were on a bus or a train, reading a book i would think it would not be so...long, but something changed recently to make me enjoy these drives, even look forward to the ride. i am not sure exactly what it is but i think it is simply familiarity and recognition, feeling at home with the scenery. as i head out past the cities, past the oil refinery, for the next two hours its. just. farmland.

oh and also the sogn valley.

i buy locally produced honey. i have read that when you ingest honey harvested by local bees it is supposed to have some sort of homeopathic effect on your allergies, increasing your immunity because you are essentially digesting the pollen. maybe this is not true, but i like believing in stuff like this.

my honey comes from the sogn valley. as does my local organic wine, arabian horse breeders, sunflowers, berries, rolling hills and cottage hobby farms. i pronounce it like phone but not sure if that is proper, but i like the way it feels coming out as it reverberates in your stomach and makes its way up through your nose as you say it out loud. sogn.

the valley lays half way between st. paul and rochester. now, when i drive through i turn off my radio, roll down my windows and breath deep. in these moments i forget about work or my drive and i just am. i have found that being alive in the moment is addictive as now i look forward to the next time and the next...although i still might stop for ice cream.

3 comments:

Missy said...

Now I would like a wildflower and a honey stick please.

amy said...

missy, there is the sogn valley art fair coming up in october...i will see what i can do!

starshrines said...

I heard that too, about honey, and I made sure to buy local honey when I lived in Idaho. I like believing in that too.

May I invite myself to the art fair, if you go?