16 September 2008

tous les beaux esprits se rencontrent


'all the beautiful spirits find themselves'

When William F. Buckley passed away earlier this year, Newsweek published an article about the man and his life. I was about to toss it aside as just another article on another old, white -haired republican, but something about his photo compelled me to read the article. After reading it, and several others since then, my perception on classic conservatism changed completely. I think Buckley's representation of it and his idealist view that when government lets men be, the human spirit triumphs. with the notion of smaller government, tight community involvement, putting education and culture first, freedom of speech, freedom of press...if this is the intent, then i would call myself a republican. But something got lost along the way. From a humble, kind, gentleman into a pistol packing hockey mom, i am not sure how to get it back again. Although there is hope, and hope is stronger than any political lines.


to read the entire article click here.


3 comments:

Missy said...

Great post. I would take him over theconservatives today! Plus I love his front teeth in this picture...cute and caring.

starshrines said...

It's fascinating seeing pictures of famous men, who's faces I've only become familiar with when they were in older age, when they were young(er). Their boyhood shines through more, or something. I think to myself "I am now the age you were when this picture was taken" and my mind reels.

Anonymous said...

I remember those days - when conservativism meant something. Pehaps they will return - but we need to require that our politicians become public servants once again.